December 29, 2012

A Report From London

London! I made it. My flight from Iceland this morning was perfectly pleasant except for a brief period when the seatback tv mysteriously shut off for a while. Even though the flight left at 9:00am, it was still pitch black when we boarded, and in fact the sun did not rise until about half way through the flight as we were winging our way south east towards the not so sunny UK. There were no gaps in the clouds at all the whole way there.

There was a little bit of frost on the wings before take-off, but the anti icing was applied, and that got rid of it in a matter of minutes.

That is a picture of the plan just a few minutes before it got filled with people. I had a window seat this time which made me very happy. I love just staring outside for extended periods of time...

Especially when what you get to stare out at is a sunrise experienced at over 900km/h from 39,000 feet on your way to start an epic adventure. That is my kind of view, and I will take it over a little extra stretching room almost any day of the week.

Heathrow was Heathrow. We did not have to hold at all anywhere, and the landing and taxi were fairly prompt. What was kinda nuts was how far a walk it is  to get from the gates to customs then to the bags, then from there to the tube. It was hundreds of meters. Hundreds and hundreds. This view made up for it though.


Those are the first rays of sunlight striking the engine cowling. I was really sleepy for the rest of the flight and kept dozing intermittently in awkward positions. The walk to customs woke me up though, and the tube ride was a lot of fun. After a brief kerfuffle checking in to the hostel, I went to my room, and had the best shower of my life. Then I think I fell asleep on top of my bags...I just got back from walking around central London, fine dining at Tesco, and another brief nap like thing before posting all these posts.

Tomorrow I will have pictures of this large city called London.

No comments:

Post a Comment