December 30, 2012

Off to Oxford

Now coming to you live from Oxford, an hour or two north west of the center of London. But before I tell you about that at all, I am going to blab on for a bit about what I did yesterday in London. After jumping out of bed pretty early, and a egg, bacon and sausage sandwich, a cup of PG Tips, and checking out, I hopped on the tube to South Kensington. I was on my way to the Natural History Museum. This is the platform at the Piccadilly Circus Tube station.


I got distracted however, and after seeing an outdoor skating rink near the museums, I went next door to the Science Museum. It was soooo cool! So many really really cool exhibits about everything imaginable! I watched a "4D" film about the Apollo program. There was an exhibit about space, and a really cool airplane exhibit, just to mention a few of my favorites. They had so many things from all ages from hundreds of years ago to the futures. And it is free!
I was going to go to The Natural History Museum after the Science Museum, but as it was almost time to get on the road to Oxford and the line had grown from about 15 to about 400 people, I decided to have lunch, then head on my way. So that is what I did.

Since I was on my way, after collecting my bags from the hostel, I went to find the Oxford Tube. Unlike what the name would suggest, it is not in fact related to the London Tube at all. It is actually a bus service. It takes about 2 hours.

It is one of the most well served long distance routes in the UK, with over 150 daily departures all through the day and night.

London is huge, and it takes almost half of that time to get out of it. It was neat to get out of the big city. Last time I was here, I never left the city.


Sunset from the bus. I found my hostel, and settled in. After hanging around for a while I went out to do a little bit of photography. I am going to do more.

After supper, the hostel bartender convinced me to buy a beer. It was the last Stella they had, a can, and the tab thing for opening it had broken off. So we opened it with a can opener.

A few people then invited me out to a pub. So we went to a pub, then a little while later to a club. I ended up going to bed pretty close to the time I ended up waking up. And now looking outside it looks nice and sunny! Sunny! It was clear last night which was surprising.

Anyhow, that is what I am up to. Today I think I am just going to explore Oxford, maybe go see a museum or two. It is so much more relaxed here than in London. There seems to be a lot more in the way of English people here than there are in London as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment